The requirements for importing mice or rats are classified into three broad categories:
- MTA/Purchasing Agreement
- DLAR Animal Housing and Import
- IACUC Protocol Approval
Because there are regulatory and quarantine issues that may apply, the time it takes to accomplish the requirements within each of these categories can take a substantial amount of time. By working on these issues concurrently, you can shorten your overall time to complete all of the steps.
- The Materials Transfer Agreement (MTA) process typically can be completed before you secure IACUC approval.
- You cannot import the animals until all compliance approvals are in place.
- You need to ensure that you have secured appropriate housing for the animals.
|MATERIAL TRANSFER/PURCHASING AGREEMENT||ANIMAL HOUSING AND IMPORT||IACUC PROTOCOL APPROVAL|
Non-Commercial Provider: If you are acquiring animals that were developed by another nonprofit entity, government, or commercial entity that are not sold commercially, obtain the Provider's form of MTA or agreement and then visit http://myra.pitt.edu/myra to initiate the MTA process
Commercial Provider: If you are purchasing mice or rats from Jackson (JAX), Taconic, or Charles River, no MTA separate from the purchasing agreement is required. Typically, no separate MTA is needed. Contact DLAR animal order firstname.lastname@example.org to make the purchase.
* Contact early in this process the DLAR Import/Export Coordinator (email@example.com or 412-383-8617) to discuss your project and future animal housing needs.
* IACUC Protocol Approval: Submit an animal use protocol application or modification for review and approval through Animal Research Online (ARO) www.aro.pitt.edu.
* Compliance Requirements for IACUC Approval:
Obtain an HS Connect Account for access to training modules
* Complete necessary research training modules: Animal-Based Research Modules List
* Isotope Research Safety Training (if applicable)
* Human Stem Cell Research Oversight Education (if applicable)
* Recombinant DNA training (if applicable)