Once the MyFunding Award record (or Modification of that record) is approved by the Dean’s area, and the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) has obtained a fully-executed award (or modification), OSP will activate the MyFunding Award record and notify Sponsored Projects Accounting (SPA) to create an account. Once SPA creates an account, expenses can be charged to that project in accordance with the sponsor's requirements and allowable costs.
Prior to account activation, OSP requires:
- Confirmation that an IP Assignment Agreement is on file with the Innovation Institute for all required personnel;
- Completion of COI disclosures and training modules, as applicable;
- COI approval, if potential conflicts are identified;
- Completed and signed COI CITI Training Table;
- Current IRB approval, IACUC approval, Congruency Review, etc., if applicable;
- Pitt IT determination, if applicable;
Advance Account Requests
An advance account is a sponsored project account that is requested and approved prior to the receipt of a properly executed notice of grant award (NGA). Advance account numbers are appropriate in a variety of circumstances:
- Certain agencies allow 90 day pre-award spending at the department's discretion to facilitate award performance;
- Certain agencies have a time-consuming award approval process that delays receiving a signed agreement in a timely manner, often beyond the start date of the project;
- Noncompetitive continuation awards requiring new project account numbers where the NGA is not received in a timely manner.
To allow for proper sponsored project management, an advance account number is an integral internal accounting control within our sponsored project accounting system. To request an advance account number, the Department should refer to the “Requesting an Advance Account” Quick Guide. The Office of Sponsored Programs will forward the appropriate information to SPA for advance account activation.