What is a Material Transfer Agreement?

Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) are contractual documents used for the acquisition of various biological and research materials developed by nonprofit, government, and private industry. The materials are often a necessary component of a research project and are available only from a sole source, often industry or an academic partner.

The Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) handles both incoming MTAs, where the University is receiving research materials from other entities, as well as outgoing MTAs, where we are sharing the University's research materials with other entities.  The University of Pittsburgh requires an outgoing MTA (or another form of contract such as a subaward) for university materials to be sent out of the university.

Faculty can initiate an incoming or outgoing MTA with OSP by submitting a request in MyRA.

For more information about MTAs, visit the OSP MTA webpage.


Friday, May 13, 2022